FAQ Spray Painting Booths, Paint Mixing Rooms - www.theelectricalinspector.co.nz

Go to content

Main menu:

FAQ Spray Painting Booths, Paint Mixing Rooms

Our Services > FAQ's
Spray Painting Booths (SPB), Paint Mixing Rooms (PMR) and Dangerous Goods Stores (DGS)

What happens now that I've bought a SPB? When can I use it?
Here is a process to follow based on the people who will be involved, including: 

The Supplier who provides the Booth, its Operating Instructions and the necessary certification and compliance documents. The documents will either be in the form of an SDoC, a Certified Design or a Statement of Memorandum on their letterhead. Each will confirms the Booth meets the requirements of AS/NZS4114 Part 1. Some Suppliers may offer to build/assemble the SPB too.

Builder ensures the construction of the SPB is carried out in accordance with the NZ Building Code and all local Council rules.

An Electrician will install a power supply and may also connect it. They will issue an Electrical Certificate of Conformity for the installation and if they are going to be responsible for connecting the power, they will satisfy themselves that a CoC has been issued and an Inspectors Record of Inspection have been issued.

The Electrical Inspector will inspect the Booth and all associated electrical devices. Their references include AS/NZS3000 and AS/NZS411. Once satisfied all the requirements have been met they will issue a Record of Inspection and add a register an entry into WorkSafe NZ's High-Risk Register.

Finally, the Location Compliance Certifier will inspect the SPB and issue its first annual Location Site Certificate.

Congratulations... your SPB is now ready to be used!

What Zone classification is my Spray Booth?
SPB's require electrical hazardous zone compliance and delineation of areas to ensure no sources of ignition are within the zone/s without protection. SPB's can be a mixture of Zone2, 1, and NH. Sorry but I can't tell from here about your particular Booth but here are some things to consider as you check out AS/NZS 4114 Part 1:
1. Did the Supplier give you a Zone drawing? It will show exactly which areas are in which Zones.          
2. What are the products (flammable liquids) being sprayed onto whatever?    

Do these areas need to be inspected regularly?
Yes, The frequency of re-inspection is covered in AS/NZS 4114 however, generally speaking, a Compliance Certifier (formerly known as a HAZNO Auditor) expects to sight a current electrical inspection certificate or Certificate of Verification or a Record of Inspection which has been validated every three or four years.

How often do I have to get my Booth inspected?
Location Compliance Certification is an annual activity and is described below.
An electrical re-certification is either 3-yearly or 4-yearly depending on type, frequency of use. Some inspectors require a 3-year term for self-built Booths.

What can I do to get a first time certification for my self-built facility?
No problem and just to confirm, self-built facilities must meet the same requirements for those made by and installed by specialist manufacturers regardless of origin.
First port of call - get a copy of whatever Standard is applicable for your circumstances. AS/NZS 4114 is a great start for a Spray Painting Booth and/or Paint mixing room. It will help you identify what the basic requirements are. We recommend you make a list detailing your booth's dimensions, type of construction, type of ventilation, number and location of doors, the number of light fittings and how they're accessed when needing to be repaired. A sketch would be helpful. Include the number of air hose outlets and any other electrical outlets in the area too, Contact your local Territorial Authority i.e City Council or District Council and check for any special requirements they have. You can check out their website or speak with one of their building inspectors for more advice and details. At some stage you'll also want to speak with a Location Compliance Auditor (Certifier) too and a specialist electrical certification company (yes, like us). OR you can get your electrician to contact us.

What is a Location Compliance Certificate?
An annually renewable Location Compliance Certificate (formerly known as a Location Test Certificate) is required where explosive, flammable or oxidizing substances are stored and the quantity exceeds the thresholds specified in the legislation. 
A LCC can be issued for up to 3 years and you should check with your Compliance Certifier to see if and how your site qualifies.
Follow  this link  for more details on Location Compliance Certification or check out: https://worksafe.govt.nz/topic-and-industry/hazardous-substances/certification-authorisation-approvals-and-licensing/certification-of-sites/location-test-certificates/

What preparation should I do to get ready for the re-certification of my Spray Painting Booth?
Assemble all your records including your Verification Dossier, which should contain copies of the original installation certificates and a maintenance log. Please ensure your maintenance log is up to date with things like when and by whom the filters where last cleaned or changed, AND when and by whom the lights were fixed (FYI, lights that are not working are not a compliance issue unless they are needed for access into and out of the SPB) AND when and by whom any other repair work has been undertaken in your SPB AND Then call us...

What if there are no eletrical fittings in my Dangerous Goods Store (Paint storage area)?
In this case, there are no requirements involving electrical compliance certification. BUT there are still compliance requirements under HAZNO and the Building Act and the Local Territorials (aka District and City Councils) rules that have to be met. Those compliance requirements vary depending on the quantities being stored - that must be followed. Some common themes involve signage, ingress/egress, ventilation... check with your Local Council OR District Council for advise OR check on the WorkSafe NZ website OR call us...

Back to content | Back to main menu