FAQ General Inspections - www.theelectricalinspector.co.nz

Go to content

Main menu:

FAQ General Inspections

Our Services > FAQ's
Electrical Inspections in General

What sorts of things have to be inspected by an electrical inspector?
Currently the Regulations require that High-risk prescribed electrical work have to be inspected (Reg. 70). This includes:
 the mains to your house from the supply point to the MEN point often known as an MEN Inspection, High voltage installations, Mining installations plus several others, see list below:

In detail, it includes:
(a) the installation, or adjustment of the settings, of any of the following:
    (i) an extra-low or low voltage installation that does not, or will not, comply with Part 2 of AS/NZS 3000:
    (ii) an installation that operates, or will operate, at high voltage (other than high voltage discharge lighting, high voltage mobile mining electrical equipment, and high voltage relocatable mining electrical equipment):
   (iii) a mains parallel generation system in an installation:
   (iv) a photovoltaic system in an installation:
   (v) an installation that is, or will be, located in a hazardous area other than an ERZ0 or ERZ1:
   (vi) an installation that is, or is intended, for use with electrical medical devices:
   (vii) any fittings (including any neutral earth resistors and earth leakage circuit breakers) that—
       (A) control earth potential rise; and
       (B) are not part of any relocatable mining electrical equipment:
   (viii) any fittings or appliances that are not part of any relocatable mining electrical equipment and are used or installed, or to be used or installed, in an ERZ0 or ERZ1:

(b) Mains work on an installation:

(c) Work on an installation's animal stunning appliances or meat conditioning appliances:

(d) Work on low voltage AC railway signalling equipment except where the equipment has been tested in accordance with ECP 60 and the work has been carried out in accordance with AS/NZS 3000:

(e) comprises or includes the construction of any relocatable mining electrical equipment, including fittings that control earth potential rise (such as neutral earth resistors, neutral earth reactors, and earth leakage circuit breakers):

(f) comprises the connection of a supply of electricity from an above-ground supply to mining electrical equipment, or conductors supplying mining electrical equipment, that are located in the underground parts of an underground mining operation:

(g) includes the adjustment of the settings of—
   (i) any isolation fittings of mining electrical equipment:
   (ii) gas monitors used in a mining operation.

How much does an inspection cost?
There are two basic fee structures.
Time-based. These are for Standard and adhoc inspections and can include time for travelling to your site, site inductions, specialised training, carrying out the inspection or audit and DTA (time assessing, preparing and completing applicable documentation). When considering the scope of your job an allowance should also be made for the collection, assembly and correlation of any missing information such as equipment Certificates of Conformity.

Set Fee. A set fee is where an inspection is assessed as being able to be completed within stricter guidelines such as for Pre-purchase inspections. caravan/Motorhome Electrical Warrants of Fitness; and as the name suggests; the fee is SET regardless of time and any other conditions. 

With a quick and simple discussion it can be determined which type would best apply. . . call us, I know we can help.

What can I do for myself before I get an electrical inspection done?
Have a general look yourself at the condition of cables (if accessible), light switches, power point units, and light fittings. There are often tell-tale signs that differienitae between fair-wear-amd-tear versus broken, cracked or missing. Also check out the condition of your switchboard because a lot can be assessed from the equipment on the board plus it's condition. Locate the earth stake and make the green lead is still attached to it.
If you'd prefer, have your electrician perform an electrical safety check. He/she will thoroughly check around all the things described about plus get up in the ceiling space or goe under the house to look for trouble spots. Ofetn they'll issue you with an Electrical Safety Certificate. This may provide you with the confidence that your home or building is electrically safe so you may not want/need an inspector now.
Your electrician can also help identify you to identify if the particular type of installation you have requires a specialist inspector for such things as your solar power system, the lights and power points in the car pit in your garage, the essential power point/s installed in your home to run specialised medical equipment etc.

What sorts of checks will the Inspector do?
Inspectors and electricians do the same basic tests. However, if specialised equipment such as solar panels and medical equipment is installed then a specialised inspector is required to conduct additional tests specified in the relevant NZ Standards.
For Installations in New Zealand and several Pacific Island Nations overall compliance must meet the requirements of The Electricity Act, The Electrical (Safety) Regulations and AS/NZS3000 (e.g. Section 8).
Here are some of the other primary reference Standards:
   Explosive Gas hazardous Areas                           AS/NZS 60079 series
   Combustible Dust, Flyings & Fibres                     AS/NZS 61241 series
   Spray Painting Booths, Paint Mixing Rooms          AS/NZS 4114 series
   Caravans. Motorhomes, Relocatable Buildings      AS/NZS 3001
   Photovoltaic (Solar) Power                                  AS/NZS 5033
   Electro-Medical related                                      AS/NZS 2500, 3003 & 3551
For other items such as appliances, AS/NZS 3760 will also apply.

What is a Location Compliance Certificate?
An annually renewable Location Compliance Certificate (formerly known as a Location Site Certificate) is required where explosive, flammable or oxidizing substances are stored and the quantity exceeds the thresholds specified in the legislation. Follow this link for more details on Location Compliance Certificates.

Back to content | Back to main menu